Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Couple More Books about Food/Cooking

I must be hungry.

The Man Who Ate Everything and It Must Have Been Something I Ate by Jeffrey Steingarten are both intriguing reads that have the added bonus of making you a whiz at food trivia.  What a deal!  I learned about how to make my own dog food, which bottled water tastes best (you'll just have to read the book to find out), why raw milk cheese is banned in the United States (and why he thinks that is ridiculous) and probably one of the biggest standouts:  Mr. Steingarten's pursuit of blood sausage.  I'll bet you just can't wait to read that!!

Also, I really have liked reading Ruth Reichl's books.  Ms. Reichl was the editor at Gourmet magazine for a while, and needless to say, a pretty influential force in the food world.  I have read Tender at the Bone which I liked best (the story of her childhood and entry into the food world) and also Garlic and Sapphires during which she writes about her time as a food critic for the New York Times.  

Scientific study has shown that reading about food is significantly less filling than eating food.  Although the dog ate my daughter's school book last week and he might beg to differ.


No comments:

Post a Comment