Thursday, August 13, 2009

Good Reads

Thinking back some of my favorite books:

Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah about growing up in China during the revolution, but really a rather personal story of feeling rejected in one's family

The Year of Biblical Living by AJ Jacobs funny, funny book.  This one really made me contemplate what following the letter of the law without the application of the principle behind the law...of course, that is a deeper response than probably the author intended, but that was my take away.

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (who incidentally wrote 101 Dalmatians).  Delightful and well written romance.  The story itself is light, but the writing is wonderful.  I would recommend it to anyone in their teens who love Jane Austin.

Don't Lets Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller.  The story of an African childhood.  I love books that open my eyes to the world around me, this one gave me insight into the complicated political changes that have overwhelmed much of Africa...from a personal perspective.  We all ought to know more about our world, and we all ought to be more involved in making it a better place.

That's all for now.  Just little thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment