Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Mystery of all Mysteries

Murder on the Orient Express, unless I am mistaken...and it wouldn't be the first time, might possibly be the most well-known mystery written, for sure it is Agatha Christie's most famous and I just read it this summer for the first time.  I have to say that I had no new revelations about life and the world around me as a result of reading this book; there were no profound monumental truths that I pondered....BUT boy, was it fun to read.  Talk about addictive, I can see why people might gobble these things up.  Reading it kind of reminded me of playing sudoku; something to keep your mind occupied and time flying.   The book was entertaining and so enjoyable and might be the quintessential summer type reading:  quick, interesting and easy.  Surprisingly, I have never met anyone who has either 1.  recommended an Agatha Christie book to me, or 2. told me they had read any Agatha Christie.  I am obviously running with the wrong crowd!  

You can tell the gist of the story just by reading the title.  Obviously, someone gets murdered on the train.  As the pieces fall together and disbelief is suspended, the story sort of takes over and I found myself caught up in the "who done it" even when I wasn't reading.  So, there's a little plug for a genre that probably doesn't need a plug at all.  I'll be off to the library to pick up another whenever I am looking for that sudoku-type diversion.

By the way, the back of the book mentions that there are over 2 BILLION copies of Agatha Christie's books in print.  Wow, that is a big, big number.  Impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment